His life and books
|Charles Cadwallader Egerton|
|Born: 1831 Bunbury, Cheshire|
|Died: 1907 Norwich, Norfolk|
|John Egerton 1796-1876|
|Ellen Gould 1802-1862|
|John Coker Egerton 1829-1888|
|Philip Reginald Egerton 1832-1911|
|Hugh Aldersey Egerton 1834-1913|
|Ellen Mary Egerton 1835-1849|
|Lucy Egerton 1837-1900|
|Agnes Harriet Egerton 1838-1849|
|Thomas Gilbert Egerton 1840-1848|
|Elizabeth Augusta Egerton 1843-1917|
|Hubert Decimus Egerton 1848-1932|
|Caroline Boys 1852-1950|
|Edith Mary Egerton 1872-1894|
|Justin Reginald Egerton 1873-1969|
|Hubert Wingfield Egerton 1875-1950|
|Muriel Virginia Egerton 1884-|
|Olive Egerton 1886-1945|
Charles Cadwallader Egerton was born on 21 January 1831 at Bunbury in Cheshire, the son of the Reverend John Egerton 1796-1876 and his wife née Ellen Gould.
He was educated at Winchester and New College in Oxford, graduating Bachelor of Arts in 1855 and Master of Arts in 1858. He was a Fellow of his college until 1871 (1).
Charles Cadwallader Egerton followed his father into the ministry of the Church of England, becoming Rector of Weston Longville in Norfolk on 12 November 1870 (1a).
This was the church that had earlier been that of the Reverend James Woodforde 1740-1803, whose diaries provide a vivid insight into English country life in the eighteenth century.
On 1 July 1871 the Reverend Charles Cadwallader Egerton married Caroline Boys 1852-1950 at Wing, Rutland (2). She was the daughter of the Reverend Charles Parkson Boys 1809-1898, Rector of Wing and his wife née Caroline Goodrich Dobbie.
They had the following children, all born at Weston Longville:
Edith Mary Egerton. She was born in 1872, and died in 1894 aged 21 years (3).
Justin Reginald Egerton. He was born in 1873, and died in 1969.
Hubert Wingfield Egerton. He was born in 1875. In 1904 he married Valerie Sorel Cameron, and died in 1950.
Muriel Virginia Egerton. She was born in 1884. In 1911 she was unmarried and employed as a cookery teacher by London County Council in Bermondsey, and living at Blackheath in London.
Olive Egerton. She was born in 1886, and was educated at Cheltenham Ladies College. In 1911 she was living in the household of her widowed uncle the Reverend Rhilip Reginald Egerton at Vale Mascal near North Cray in Kent. Her occupation was then stated as Masseuse. She died unmarried on 27 April 1945 at Lindfield in Sussex (4) aged 54 years.
Their father Charles Cadwallader Egerton died on 25 January 1907 at Norwich (5).
His widow Caroline Egerton died on 6 October 1950 (6).
The photograph of Charles Cadwallader Egerton on this page was kindly provided by Patrick Graham.
(1) Alumni Oxonienses 1715-1886 Later Series E-K J. Foster (1888) page 415; Oxford Men and their Colleges J. Foster (1893) page 20; Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire for the Year 1918: The Monuments of Bunbury Church, Cheshire volume 70 New Series volume 34 J.P. Rylands and F.C. Beazley (1919) pages 90-91.
(1a). It was in the gift of the Warden and Scholars of New College, Oxford. Bury Free Press 19 November 1870.
(2) London Evening Standard 4 July 1871. Their Marriage Settlement is dated 30 Jun 1871: Egerton Deeds HB 54/E21/1 Suffolk Record Office (Ipswich Branch).
(3) Letters of Administration of the goods of Edith Mary Egerton are dated 6 March 1913: Egerton Deeds HB 54/E21/3 Suffolk Record Office (Ipswich Branch).
(4) "EGERTON Olive of Orchard Cottage Capel-street Capel St. Mary Suffolk spinster died 27 April 1945 at The Hostel of God Lindfield Sussex Probate Ipswich 10 September to Lionel Hastings Vulliamy solicitor. Effects £1729 18s 2d." National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations) 1858-1966 (1945) page 56. Lionel Hastings Vulliamy was the second cousin of her mother.
(5) Norfolk Chronicle 2 February 1907. National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations) 1858-1966 (1907) page 27. Probate was granted at London on 12 March 1907 to his widow Caroline Egerton. His effects amounted to £2,110 5s 8d.
The probate copy of his Will is dated 12 March 1907: Egerton Deeds HB 54/E21/2 Suffolk Record Office (Ipswich Branch).
(6) National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations) 1858-1966 (1950) page 69.