His life and books
|Born: 1853 Macclesfield, South Australia|
|Died: 1895 at Macclesfield, South Australia|
|William Gould 1819-1876|
|Harriet Grace 1821-1888|
|Edmund Gould 1851-1895|
|William Gould 1854-1924|
|Nathaniel Gould 1856-1941|
|Mary Elizabeth Gould 1858-1859|
|Gilbert Gould 1860-1861|
|Grace Waters 1853-1885|
|Eliza Hannah Whisson 1860-1938|
|By Grace Waters|
|Charles Henry Gould 1876-1925|
|Joseph Gilbert Gould 1878-1946|
|William James Gould 1880-1965|
|George Gould 1882-1926|
|John Gould 1882-1916|
|By Eliza Hannah Whisson|
|Albert Edward Wesley Gould 1889-1890|
Charles Gould was born on 21 March 1853 at Macclesfield in South Australia, the son of William Gould 1819-1876 and his wife née Harriet Grace 1821-1888.
He married his first wife Grace Waters, the daughter of Henry Waters and Alice Stephens, on 24 March 1875 in the Primitive Methodist Chapel at Belividere in South Australia (1). She was born on 11 October 1853 in Adelaide, South Australia.
Charles and Grace had the following children:
Charles Henry Gould. He was born on 12 January 1876 in Belvidere. In the Western Australia Census taken in 1901, he was recorded as a farmer living at Pig Station, Beverley. On 16 October 1911 he married Sarah Charlotte Pinnock, daughter of James Pinnock and his wife née Christina Mitchell, at St. Matthew's Church, Kensington in South Australia. She was born on 13 March 1877 in Kensington, South Australia. Charles Henry Gould died on 29 March 1925 in Northam, Western Australia.
Joseph Gilbert Gould 1878-1946. He was born in 1878 in Victoria. He married Anne Bateson, daughter of Elias Bateson and his wife née Margaret Pincott, in 1908 in Victoria. She was born in 1882 in Miram, Victoria. She died on 30 December 1912, and was buried in Beverley, Western Australia (2). Joseph Gilbert Gould married secondly Fanny Ethel Down, daughter of Richard Down and his wife née Elizabeth Moran, on 14 February 1922 in Chalmers Church, Adelaide. She was born on 3 August 1883 in Mile End, South Australia. She died on 25 November 1964, and was buried on 27 November 1964 in the West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide (3). Joseph Gilbert Gould died on 21 April 1946 in Mile End, South Australia, and was buried on 23 April 1946 in the West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide (2).
William James Gould 1880-1965. He was born on 7 August 1880 at Yanipy in Victoria, and died on 23 November 1965 at Victor Harbor, South Australia.
George Gould 1882-1926. He was born in 1882, and died on 25 September 1926.
John Gould 1882-1916. He was born in 1882 in Victoria. He enlisted in A.I.F. at Pingelly West. Private John Gould 2293 48th Battalion died on 6 August 1916 at Pozieres in France, and was buried in Villers Bretonneux in France. His name is recorded on the Pingelly War Memorial.
Their mother Grace Gould née Waters died on 1 October 1885 in Yanipy, Victoria (5).
Her husband Charles Gould married secondly Eliza Hannah Whisson, the daughter of John Whisson and his wife née Hannah Amerson, on 29 April 1888 in Victoria. She was born on 11 July 1860 in Milang, South Australia, and died on 3 August 1938 (6).
Charles and Eliza Gould had the following child:
Albert Edward Wesley Gould 1889-1890. He was born in 1889 at Kaniva in Victoria. He died on 7 February 1890 in Adelaide, and was buried on 8 February 1890 in the West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide (7).
Charles Gould died on 28 February 1889 in Kaniva, Victoria.
(1) The report in the Southern Argus dated 25 March 1875 read: "Marriage-Gould-Waters- On the 24th March by licence by the Rev. J.H.Williams in the Primitive Methodist Chapel Belvidere, Charles Gould to Grace Waters."
(2) There is a monumental inscription at Beverley reading: "Gould Annie, The dearly departed wife of G.J.Gould, who departed this life on the 30th day of Dec 1912, aged 32 years."
(3) The obituary notice in the Advertiser dated 26 November 1964 reads: "Death-Gould- On November 25th, Frances Ethel, of 16 Victoria St. Mile End, dearly loved wife of the late Gilbert Gould. Aged 81 years."
(4) The report in the Advertiser dated 22 April 1946 reads: "Death-Gould-On April 21, at 16 Victoria Street, Mile End, Gilbert (Jim), dearly loved husband of Frances Ethel Gould. Aged 67 years. Late First A.I.F.. Resting."
(5) The report in the Chronicle dated 10 October 1885 reads: "Death - Gould - On the 1st October at her residence, Yanipy Victoria, Grace the beloved wife of Charles Gould and an affectionate daughter of Henry and Alice Waters, Belvidere, aged 31 and 11 months. She worked while it was day."
(6) See Australia The Promised Land. The Whisson Family History.
(7) The South Australia Death Index wrongly names him as Albert Edmond Wesley Gould.
The West Tce burial records: "Albert Edward W. Gould, age 12 months , Res. Pirie Street."
The Whisson History records "Edward (Eddie) was born in Adelaide, S.A., and never lived to be very old. Shortly after his father's death in 1889, Eddie was also laid to rest. Eddie was taken to the family doctor by his mother Eliza. Whilst at the surgery, Eddie not feeling well, asked for a drink of water. On their way home, crossing Hindmarsh Square, Eddie collapsed and died in his mother's arms, the cause of his death was given as heart failure."