His life and books
|Born: 1782 Manchester|
|James Bateman 1749-1824|
|James Bateman 1784-1800|
|Susan Bateman 1795-1828|
|James Bateman 1812-1897|
John Bateman was born in 1782 in Manchester, the son of James Bateman 1749-1824 of Tolson Hall in Westmoreland and his wife nee Margaret Nicholson.
On 30 May 1810 he married Elizabeth Holt by licence at St Mary the Virgin church, Bury in Lancashire. She was the daughter of George Holt of Redivals, Lancashire (1). She was born at Bury in Lancashire in 1782. The ceremony was conducted by the Reverend William Holt (2).
They lived at Knypersley Hall in Staffordshire, which James Bateman 1749-1824 had bought for his son John Bateman on the occasion of his marriage (3).
When the Census was taken in 1851 John and Elizabeth Bateman were living there, together with their butler, footman, housekeeper, lady's maid, housemaid, under maid and kitchen maid.
They had a son, James Bateman 1812-1897, who moved to Biddulph Grange in Staffordshire in 1842 (4).
John Bateman died in 1858.
(1) The Monthly Magazine, or British Register volume 29 Sir R. Philips (1810) page 606. The father of the bride is incorrectly given as William Holt instead of George Holt. William Holt was the conducting minister.
(2) William Holt was the the bride's brother, and George Holt was her father. The witnesses were George Holt and William Bentley. See also Boyd's Inhabitants of London: Boyd's Family Units Ref. No. 199. MS Northern Pedigrees I.18.
(3) His grandfather James Bateman purchased Knypersley Hall from Sir Nigel Gresley for £37,000 in 1809. In 1858 the top floor was removed and the house much reduced in siza. It is now divided into apartments: Lost Houses of North Staffordshire C. Walton and L. Porter (2010) page 98.
(4) James Bateman had bought the vicarage called The Grange, which together with nearby Woodhouse Farm and Poolfields formed the Biddulph estate. The farmhouse was demolished and replaced by the large mansion called Biddulph Grange. Its elaborate and extensive gardens are now owned by the National Trust and the house itself is divided into apartments: Lost Houses of North Staffordshire C. Walton and L. Porter (2010) page 38.