His life and books
|Born: 1685 at Pilsbury Grange|
|Died: 1760 at Pilsbury Grange|
|William Gould 1655-1725|
|Mary Hollis 1654-1713|
|Elizabeth Gould 1676-1753|
|William Gould 1677-1772|
|Sarah Gould 1689-1772|
|Hannah Gould 1692-1756|
|Thomas Gould 1695-1763|
|John Gould born 1700|
|Sarah Goodwin 1684-1762|
|Mary Gould 1714-1714|
|Margaret Gould born 1715|
|Hannah Gould born 1717|
|William Gould born 1720|
|Mary Gould 1722-1743|
|Sarah Gould born 1725|
Joseph Gould was born in 1685, the second son of William Gould and his wife nee Mary Hollis 1654-1713.
He married Sarah Goodwin 1684-1762, but the place of their marriage is unknown.
Their children were:
She was married to Joseph Gould 1685-1760, but the date and place of the marriage is unknown.
Their children, all baptised at Hartington in Derbyshire, were as follows (1):
Mary Gould. She was baptised on 27 March 1714, and was buried at Hartington on 27 May in the same year.
Margaret Gould. She was baptised on 30 May 1715. She was married at Hartington on 24 September 1741 to Thomas Poyser 1715-1803 of Waterhouses in Staffordshire.
Hannah Gould. She was baptised on 6 January 1717. She was married at Hartington on 4 July 1761 to Joseph Kinder.
William Gould. He was baptised on 5 May 1720.
Mary Gould. She was baptised on 14 January 1722, and buried there on 14 October 1743.
Sarah Gould. She was baptised on 29 April 1725. She was married at Hartington to John Alsope on 11 June 1746.
Joseph and Sarah Gould moved around Hartington parish. They were living at Pilsbury in March 1714 (2), at Biggin in May 1714 (3), at Pilsbury from 1714 to 1725 (4), and from 1741 at Ludwall (5).
Joseph Gould died in 1760, and was buried on 1 April 1760 at Hartington.
Sarah Gould died at Ludwall in 1762, and was buried at Hartington on 12 June 1762.
(1) They may also have had a son Joseph Gould, who married Anne Slack of Sheen in Staffordshire on 2 May 1738. They had three children: William Gould 1739-1795, Joseph Gould 1742-1763, and Richard Gould 1745-1762. Their mother is also referred to as Amie, but that appears to be a misreading of Anne.
(2) They were at Pilsbury on 27 March 1714 when their daughter Mary (born 1714) was baptised.
(3) They were at Biggin on 27 May 1714 when their daughter Mary (born 1714) was buried.
(4) They were at Pilsbury again from 1714 to 1725 when their children Mary (1714) Margaret (1715) Hannah (1717) William (1720) Mary (1722) and Sarah (1725) were baptised.
(5) Their daughters were living at Ludwall from 1741 to 1761 when they were married, Margaret (1741) Sarah (1746) and Hannah (1761). Both parents had died when Sarah Gould and Hannah Gould were married, but evidently they continued to live at Ludwall.
In 1763 the owner Joseph Gould 1742-1763 bequeathed Ludwall to his niece Frances Briggs nee Gould 1809-1887.